Letters to the Editor

SGA welcomes you to meet and greet our fresh new senators for this year

This week, Student Government Association Senate Chambers had a new vibrancy after welcoming 28 new senators. On Saturday, senators brainstormed new initiatives at the internal retreat. Legislatively, SGA passed the new annual funding guidelines for Chartered Student Organizations.
These guidelines can be found in last week’s SGA mailer. Hoping to connect with the entire student body, SGA will be holding a meet-and-greet cookout in the Quad on Sept. 30 from 5 p.m. to 7p.m.
This will be a great opportunity to express your concerns, meet your representatives and understand the critical role your SGA has on this campus.

-Matt Ryan, sophomore, SGA Senator for the School of Public Health.

SGA creates  a new task force to organize the relief efforts for Pakistan floods

Millions of citizens were displaced when massive floods hit Pakistan in July. Although the United Nations recently called the tragedy ‘the greatest humanitarian crisis in recent history,’ U.S. media coverage of the natural disaster has been very minimal.
Student Government Association found it necessary to create a task force to centralize the University’s efforts in raising disaster awareness. The task force will provide aid to the best of the University’s ability and will coordinate any initiatives that the student body would like to undertake, for instance, serving as a central discussion group, and pushing fundraising efforts.
If you would like to get involved, whether you are a student or a faculty member, please send an e-mail to [email protected].

-Oscar Vasquez, senior, SGA Vice President of Diversity and Social Justice.