Letters to the Editor

Student Activities Board worked hard to book homecoming act

In an editorial published last week, the author voiced an opinion about the job that Student Activities Board did, or, as indicated, failed to do, in putting together this year’s homecoming festivities. I would be remiss in my duties as president if I did not reply to this editorial in the organization’s defense. Many months of planning went into making sure that homecoming would live up to student expectations.

Much of the work was accomplished during the summer, when committee members were scattered across the globe and were supposed to be enjoying their break. I never heard a complaint when they were asked to give up their time to spend hours planning for homecoming.

During our planning, one of the challenges we ran into was the cancellation of the concert’s headlining act. We confirmed the event with hip-hop artist B.o.B., but he backed out at the end of July to take part in a European tour. We consulted to compile a list of alternate acts, and contacted our production team for availability and price. However, we can only send out one bid at a time, also causing a delay in solidifying an act.

We have a budget that designates an amount for homecoming to cover all costs associated with it. Some acts were too expensive. Other acts took several weeks to respond, even though there was consistent follow-up on our end. After reviewing the student body surveys, we were finally able to match an act on the list with one that was available: Tonic.
The choice may not be the top preference for everyone (as any artist really is), but we believe that everyone who attends the concert will have a fantastic time rocking out with their friends and fellow students.

In closing, everyone is entitled to voice their opinions about the homecoming celebration. All comments will be welcomed and would prove valuable for the future. However, we ask that this feedback be given in a productive and appropriate manner, and not in a disrespectful editorial, where no one person takes responsibility for the comments made. SAB is here to serve the students and I am very proud of the job we have done thus far. I know how much effort and time was involved in the planning, and hope that all of the students and alumni and their families will have a wonderful, enjoyable time.

Hope to see everyone there!

-Stephanie Hart, President, Student Activities Board