Letter to the Editor: The Oath of Inclusion is an opportunity to better our community

Editor’s note: This letter is in response to a commentary publised last week, titled “Oath of Inclusion is not inclusive of all Billikens.”

Last week, The University News published a commentary concerning the effectiveness of the Oath of Inclusion and its seeming lack of including all students in the effort.  The main argument was to draw similarities between the current Oath of Inclusion campaign and the “We Are All Billikens” campaign from the 2009-2010 school year.

To begin, I want to address more accurately the “We Are All Billikens” campaign. I was on campus at the time so I think it would be best to provide some context that was not detailed in last week’s editorial. The “We Are All Billikens” campaign was a symbolic effort by one student organization. And while it was a laudable effort at the time, it was not a commitment written by students from all different backgrounds on campus, deliberated on for over a year, unanimously legislated by Student Government Association, presented to the President’s Coordinating Council, advocated to the Board of Trustees Student Development Committee, spoken about at the Federal Reserve of St. Louis, and integrated into SLU101 and Welcome Week events. The Oath, on the other hand, was.

The Oath has also been the catalyst to bring all groups that define themselves as “diversity or social justice” focused together each week through the Diversity Leadership Cabinet. This is an open forum where students can debate and program around community-building issues. The Oath has dictated passionate conversations from Griesedieck Hall to the floors of DuBourg. It has brought myself and a staff member together, in near tears, addressing what the Jesuit Mission lived out can do for this campus.

I state these accomplishments because I feel the article portrayed the Oath as another campaign without substance. I would encourage further research and deliberation before making such claims. Indeed, buttons and videos have been a part of the campaign. In coming weeks, so will t-shirts and place cards on dining tables. They are there to create other avenues to deliver the message. However, they are not the substance of the campaign, rather they are the indicators of its progress. The leaders of the Oath campaign do not think someone wearing a button will change this culture. We believe the buttons may spark a conversation between two people about what community means to them: a conversation that may not have occurred otherwise.

Throughout this campaign’s inception, it has never been portrayed as the cure all and it never will be. Nor has it ever been solely in the hands of Student Government. It has been a sincere, humble, and courageous attempt led by many students and supported by administrators and staff to create dialogue about our community, break down superficial barriers that divide us as Billikens, and put forward structural changes that will outlast our SLU career.

To conclude, I want to thank The University News for printing last week’s article. The Oath is an opportunity for us to challenge each other sincerely and to motivate one another to constantly push for a better Saint Louis University. As The University News editorial board alluded to last week, the Oath is an initiative that we have placed much emphasis and attention. Although we have made great strides two months into our term to improve study and casual spaces on campus, clean up the CSO financial process, improve academic resources, strengthen SGA’s relationship with students, and make CSO’s better connected on campus, we stand by our efforts to advocate for the Oath. We understand that we cannot tackle issues together unless all students feel safe and loved on campus. Pushing for an inclusive campus has been a priority of our administration, and it will continue to be.

I hope The University News, as members of the SLU community, will also embrace the Oath as their own. I hope they attend DLC events ready to engage students and interview attendees to gather further meaning. I hope, as “a voice for the students,” The University News promotes efforts pushed by students. I hope they realize while critique can be a justifiable and necessary message, so can advocacy.

Bringing up campaigns of the past cannot be the only direction from an organization of this stature. Looking to the future, pushing for a stronger community, and engaging all students, including your Student Government, has to be core to this paper’s efforts. It is not an option. It is your duty.

Together, this is the SLU we can believe in. This is the community you and I can build together. This is our SLU.

Matt Ryan is the president of Student Government Association.

View Comments (7)
$1910
$750