Archbishop visits College Church

Carlson reflects on Jesus’ integrity and honesty

SLU students gather to hear the words of Archbishop Robert Carlson at 9 p.m. Mass on Jan. 29. (Below) Archbishop Carlson speaks to the SLU community in his homily that was tailored to the student audience members. Mark Campos / Staff Photographer

This past week on Jan. 29, Archbishop Robert James Carlson visited Saint Louis University to preside over the popular 9 p.m. Sunday Mass.

Carlson had previously served as archbishop of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and then Saginaw, Michigan, until April 2009, when Pope Benedict XVI named him bishop of the archdiocese of St. Louis — a region that includes not only the city, but many surrounding counties as well.

After a Gospel from the first chapter of Mark, Carlson delivered a homily revolving around Jesus’ integrity and honesty in his teaching. Carlson contrasted Jesus with a friend that might always give advice that he himself doesn’t follow, or who is always eager to give advice but never to listen. “Jesus,” however, “taught [the people] with authority,” he said. “He lived it … He spoke, and it happened.”

This message was relatable to Claudia Gomez, a freshman student in attendance.

“I liked it when he talked about friends giving advice — sometimes friends want you to listen, but they don’t listen to what you have to say.”

Carlson was able to tailor his homily to the audience in a way that made sense to the SLU students who made up the majority of the congregation that night.

The second half of the homily transitioned to focus on listening to God, as the archbishop led the congregation together in a prayer to allow one to be open to listen to God when He speaks. As Carlson said, “Jesus will speak … if only we can open our hearts to what he has to say to us … God says ‘I’ve been speaking to you and my word is life.’”

Keeping the Jesuit theme of service in mind, the archbishop ended his sermon by reminding everyone that Jesus came “not to be served but to serve.”

Carlson’s personal visit to campus was another instance of the service that he has given to SLU throughout the years. While he was here, the SLU community took the time to thank him for the support that he has given to some of the University’s endeavors. Carlson has been supportive of the Saint Louis University Prison Program, an initiative of the University that promotes education, service and research to people who are incarcerated and prison staff members in Missouri.

After the archbishop’s endorsement, the program was able to acquire a grant that funded many needed services within the program. He also presided over the Newman Convocation this past fall, part of a five-year-long celebration of the Second Vatican Council. He will be back again next year to continue the celebration. Students were glad to have the opportunity to thank the archbishop in person.

“I thought it was really nice that the archbishop came out,” junior Matt Stegeman said. “[It] let the SLU community express their thanks for his support for SLU’s efforts to improve to the community.”

Student response to the archbishop’s visit was both appreciative and enthusiastic. His investment in the Jesuit mission and SLU community was apparent.

“I appreciate that he takes the time to come to visit us,” freshman Johanna Reicks said. “I think it’s important for head religious leaders to spend time and get to know today’s youth.”

Katherine Kelliher, a freshman, agreed and said, “I felt honored to be within the presence of such a profound figure such as the archbishop, and I enjoyed his homily because I thought that it was interesting how he interpreted the readings.”

Sophomore Emily Howard, who plays cello on Sunday nights as a part of the liturgical orchestra, said, “As a member of the orchestra, I was delighted to hear that the archbishop appreciated our music.”

Students at SLU were happy to have the opportunity have the archbishop lead the community in worship and thank him for his support.