Broncos Stampede the Bills 74-62

The Billikens could never quite find a rhythm on Wednesday night, and the University of Santa Clara Broncos took advantage, riding through Chafietz with a 74-62 victory.

SLU struggled to find the bucket on offense, and even when they did, the defense couldn’t provide the stops necessary to compete with the Broncos. Above all, the Billikens had no answer for Kevin Foster, as the Santa Clara guard went off for 30 points on 10-18 shooting. He helped build a 44-31 lead for the Broncos at halftime, scoring 17 points off 7-11 shooting in the first half.

“Bottom line, we just didn’t get it done…We just didn’t give enough effort,” forward Dwayne Evans said.

Sophomore Grandy Glaze started again in place of an injured Cory Remekun, in uniform on the sidelines but not playing in the game. Glaze was big on the boards early, pulling down four rebounds, but he had trouble finding the basket.

Freshman guard Keith Carter left the game mid-way through the second half with a knee injury after a Santa Clara player rolled under him. His status for next week’s CBE Classic is unknown at press time.

A late comeback effort (13 points), led by a Rob Loe 3-pointer and drive by Mike McCall Jr. was still not enough for the Billikens, as a Santa Clara alley-oop to Marc Trasolini all but smashed any hopes of a late charge for the Billikens.