Jewish, Muslim groups to volunteer on Christmas day

On Christmas Day, Jewish and Muslim volunteers as well as individuals from other faith backgrounds will come together to serve over 20 different sites throughout the St. Louis area.

The Islamic Foundation of Greater Saint Louis (IFGSTL) and the Jewish Community Relations Council (JCRC) organize this interfaith opportunity, now in its second year.

The volunteers will conduct a variety of types of service including cooking dinner for and eating with single mothers, making care packages, and delivering gift baskets to the elderly, as well as spending time with senior citizens at area nursing homes.

Zubaida Ibrahim of the IFGSTL is co-chairing the event, along with Roberta Gutwein of the JCRC.

“This is an opportunity for Muslims and Jews to show their friendship and solidarity toward each other and all faith groups,” said Ibrahim. “Members of all faith traditions are welcomed to volunteer on this service day.”

Gail Wechsler, a director at the JCRC, said she is excited about the extraordinary number of volunteers that have already signed up.

“Christmas Day is an ideal opportunity to foster bonds between the Jewish and Muslim communities, as well as donate our time and resources to benefit the community as a whole,” said Wechsler.

Local synagogues, mosques, stores and businesses will provide donations to support the numerous collection drives that are being held to prepare for the event.

To sign up, donate or find out more information, visit: www.stljewishmuslimdayofservice.org