Three in a row: SLU’s victory over Butler puts them in A-10 final

Dwayne Evans registered his sixth double-double of the season to help No. 16 Saint Louis knock off Butler 67-56 in Saturday’s Atlantic 10 tournament semifinal. The victory was the Billikens’ third over the Bulldogs this season and advances them to their first ever A-10 championship game.

Evans, who knocked down eight of nine shots for 25 points in the quarterfinals against Charlotte, led all scorers with 24 points to go with 11 rebounds and three steals. He knocked down seven of 10 shots from the field, including a 3-pointer early in the first half, and hit nine of 11 free throws.

Senior Cody Ellis bounced back from a shaky 3-for-13 performance, hitting four of his eight shots, all of which came from behind the arc. He finished with 13 points, five rebounds and a pair of steals.

As a team, SLU shot 44 percent from the field and generated 26 points off 20 BU turnovers.

Rotnei Clarke was the lone Bulldog to score in double-figures, registering 16 points on seven of 15 shooting. Butler out-rebounded the Bills 39-30 and picked up 11 second chance points, but its offense went cold down the stretch, coming up empty on nine straight possessions at one point (0-6 shooting, 3 turnovers), which allowed Saint Louis to eventually pull away.

SLU will now await the winner of St. Joseph’s and VCU.

Check back for more updates as the Billikens prepare for the Atlantic 10 final tomorrow at 12 p.m. CDT.