Help bring sustainable urban agriculture to St. Louis

St. Louis has the chance to be a leader of urban agriculture, a method of farming that is sustainable for our environment. Senator Jason Holsman is supporting a bill that would incentivize urban agriculture, and other St. Louis legislators need to get on board.

According to Environment Missouri representative Stuart Keating, the average “fresh” food item on our dinner table travels 1,500 miles to get there. Buying locally produced food eliminates the need for fuel-guzzling transportation that releases pollution that causes global warming. Additionally, run-off from Missouri factory farms has caused a dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico the size of Rhode Island where no fish can survive, according to Environment Missouri. Small local farms do not damage our environment; in contrast, they keep money in the city’s economy, help eliminate food deserts and provide fresh, healthy food for the city.

For those of us who care about our environment, our health and our community, we must act now. The Missouri legislature has the opportunity to pass Bill 228, which would provide incentives for urban farmers and vendors, revitalize communities, cut down on water and air pollution and funnel money to help start school gardens.

It is necessary to ensure that our city councilmen vote to incentivize urban agriculture so our city can reap the many benefits from locally-grown food. Call or write to your legislator today in order to make Senator Holsman’s bill a reality for St. Louis.