No. 13 Billikens tie Dayton 2-2, in Ohio, in third-to-last match

Saint Louis Athletics
Saint Louis Athletics
Saint Louis Athletics

The No. 13 Saint Louis men’s soccer team traveled to Ohio on Saturday, Oct. 25 for a crucial A-10 matchup against the Dayton Flyers. The Billikens fell behind early in the 9th minute of the game when Flyer James Haupt beat SLU keeper Sascha Otte to put the Flyers up 1-0.

The Billikens responded shortly after  Raymond Lee scored his second goal of the season in the 13th minute. Filip Pavisic was credited with the assist as he connected with Lee in a congested penalty box. Both teams would be unable to take advantage of offensive opportunities and the score would remain 1-1 at the end of the first 45 minutes.

The score would hold as a draw until 76:13 when the Billikens would once again find themselves down a goal. Flyers midfielder Amass Amankona shot the ball into the upper right corner of the goal after receiving a pass from Brian Richards.

It seemed that the game would end in a 2-1 loss for the Billikens, but a penalty at the 87:06 mark would give SLU the opportunity to pull out a draw. Anthony Manning took the penalty shot and snuck the ball past Flyer’s keeper Chris Froschauer for his fifth goal of the season; three coming off successfully converted penalty kicks.

Although the game would continue into overtime, neither the Billikens nor the Flyers could find the back of the net for the winning goal. In the 110th minute of play, SLU and Dayton both had 16 shots on goal with three corner kicks each. The goalkeeper for both teams also had three saves apiece, with all of Dayton’s saves coming in the second half.

The draw gives the Billikens a record of 10-3-2, with an A-10 record of 3-1-2. SLU coach Mike McGinty viewed the game as a success saying, “I’m extremely proud of our guys—they came back not once, but twice to get something out of this place, which is not easy to do. The team effort tonight was fantastic.” McGinty also commented how dominating Dayton has been this season at home, insinuating that a draw against this strong team should be viewed as a victory for SLU.

The Billikens will return home this Sunday, Nov. 2 to play Rhode Island at Hermann Stadium with a 2 p.m. kickoff. Rhode Island beat Dayton 1-0, and destroyed UMass 4-1 on Friday. This advanced their winning streak to 10 games.

On Sunday, Oct. 26 the Rams kicked off at Saint Joseph’s and defeated the Hawks with a score of 2-0, advancing their unbeaten streak to 11 games with a record of 10-3-3. Due to the recent success of the Rams, the Saint Louis men’s soccer game should prove to be an exciting matchup, even prior to the game. The six seniors for SLU will be recognized, as the match is their last one at home as Billikens.