Why the Cubs don’t deserve to win the World Series

The Chicago Cubs have not won the World Series since 1908. Yes, it’s been awhile. Should they win this year? No, they should not. I have come to this conclusion from several angles.

Chicago is a relatively successful sports city. First, Chicago has two baseball teams: the Cubs and the White Sox. The Sox last won the World Series in 2005, eleven years ago. The Chicago Bears have had multiple playoff appearances in recent years. Not to mention that the Chicago Blackhawks have recently dominated the NHL postseason, with three Stanley Cups in the past seven years. And while the Chicago Bulls have not been extremely successful in years since the reign of Michael Jordan, they did win their division in 2011 and 2012. The Chicago Fire, a MLS team, exists among the ranks of other sports franchises in this city. However, the Fire have not been fruitful in playoffs. Regardless, Chicago is fortunate enough to have two baseball teams, a football team, a basketball team and a soccer team. Cities such as St. Louis only have the Cardinals and the Blues as the teams of the city. Five major sports franchises have teams in Chicago — they are fine without a Cubs World Series victory.

In retrospect, Cleveland sports teams have had a rough go. Only recently have the Cavaliers, the city’s NBA team, been prosperous, obviously along with the Indians.

This successful Cubs season has given rise to the amount of their fans. That being said, I do not dislike Cubs fans, aside from those who are fans due to their recent success. If the Cubs win the Series, the amount of bandwagon fans will skyrocket.

The Cubs have portrayed themselves as a victim, and want our pity and for us to support them for a World Series title. But they have gouged many teams and bought their players. For example, Jason Heyward, a big hitter for the Cardinals last season, took his talents to the Cubs for this season and beyond. However, this postseason he has a batting average of .071, with 0 home runs and 1 run batted in. John Lackey also went to the Cubs this year as a free agent, and Jake Arrieta, the Cy Young winner a year ago, started out as an Oriole before being dealt to the Cubs in a 2013 trade. This postseason, though, Arrieta has not performed as well.

A lack of World Series experience is seen in the Cubs’ roster. Six total players have a combined nine total appearances in a World Series. Compared to previous winners, the 2015 Kansas City Royals had 28 combined appearances and the 2014 San Francisco Giants had 31 combined appearances.

The American League was able to win the All-Star Game at Petco Park in San Diego. Thus, the Cleveland Indians will have home-field advantage during the Series, which is extremely beneficial in huge games such as these. It is important to note that Cleveland has not lost a single game at home this postseason. Moreover, the Indians have only lost once this past month, and that was Game 4 of the American League Championship Series in Toronto. And, the last regular season loss for Cleveland was Sept. 28th against the Detroit Tigers. Even though mostly being considered as the underdog of the postseason, Cleveland might just beat the favorite.

Everything seems to be lining up for the Indians. Their bullpen has been d o m i n a n t behind Andrew Miller, who has 21 strikeouts in 11 and ? innings. Cody Allen and Bryan Shaw have also been putting up favorable numbers on the mound.

The last time the Cubs were successful in a World Series was in 1907 and 1908. The Ottoman Empire was still intact at this time. The Titanic was built, sailed, sank and rediscovered. Halley’s Comet passed earth twice. The long strife of the Cubs has become emblematic in Major League Baseball. It is a part of the city’s history and the League’s history. And in this case, history was not made to be broken.

View Comments (3)
$1910
$750