Women find success at Forest Park

Saint Louis University women’s tennis won three out of their four matchups this past week. SLU defeated Southeast Missouri State 6-1, Quincy 6-0, and Lindenwood-Belleville 5-0. However, they  fell in their fourth and final match against SIUE by a very close score of 4-3.

Despite the negative result, the team still managed to break .500 to move to a 4-3 record overall. SLU has generally been strong at home, earning all of their wins here and losing only once. It appears that early in the season, the struggles are coming away from home, as SLU is 0-2 on the road.

Their travel-dominant schedule this season will be a test for the Billikens. Of their 14 remaining matches, only five will take place at Forest Park.

In the weekend’s matches, senior Verginie Tchakarova, freshman Mariluz Rojo Domingo and freshman Ariana Rodriguez all posted 4-0 singles records, winning each of their matches against all four of the opponent schools. Meanwhile, senior sisters Verginie Tchakarova and Eleonore Tchakarova went a perfect 2-0 in their doubles matches.

Next up for the Billikens is a Friday, Feb. 17 matchup against Dayton, which will kick off the Atlantic 10 Conference regular season. That match will take place in Dayton, Ohio.

The next day, the Billikens will face off against Duquesne at the same location. Saint Louis University women’s tennis will have several opportunities to tune up for the Atlantic 10 Conference Championships, as they take place in late April in Orlando, Fla.