Track wraps up indoor season, shatters three records

Saint Louis University track and field continues to improve, as the team turned in one of its finest performances of the indoor track season just two weeks before the Atlantic 10 Conference Championships are set to start. Three school records were broken by the squad, including one that had held for nearly seven years.

The Saint Louis team was split between two meets. One meet was the DeNoon Invitational in Southern Illinois, while the other was the Meyo Invitational at the University of Notre Dame.

Head coach Jon Bell was extremely pleased with the team performances, and is looking forward to the Atlantic 10 Conference Championships. “I’m very enthused by how we concluded our indoor regular season. The group that traveled to Notre Dame set three school records and had numerous PRs.  The group that competed at SIUC set a lot of PRs and several seasonal bests. The coaching staff could ask for a better conclusion to the regular season.  We now have two weeks to be precise with our training in preparation for the A-10 Championships,” he said.

The men’s 4×400 relay team, composed of senior Kyle Clinkingbeard, sophomore Will Moore, junior Josh Freivogel and senior Nathan Hall, broke the school record in the event with a time of 3:17.45at the Notre Dame Meyo Invitational.

Meanwhile, senior Hiob Gebisso now owns the SLU school record in the 3,000-meter race, an event that he ran in 8:18.84. The 3,000-meter school record was previously set in 2011.

Finally, senior Griffin McCurren improved on his school record-setting performance in the 400 meter last week by breaking the school record in 600-meter race. He ran the 600-meter event in a time of 1:20.88.

Next up for the Billikens is the Atlantic 10 Conference Championships. They will be held on Feb. 18-19 in Fairfax, Va. at the home of the George Mason University Colonials.