SGA elections begin to heat up

SGA elections begin to heat up

Debate set for Monday in four-way presidential race

Rita Passaglia

Rita is looking forward to the election process ahead and the exciting things to come for SLU SGA. The upcoming year will be crucial for rallying students to come together and tackle the challenges and opportunities that the year will bring. Some of our goals include improving communication with the student body, as well as placing checks and balances on the powers of Senate to best represent our constituents. This includes more direct conversations between SGA officers and a greater and more diverse population of the student body. As president, I would like to improve relations between SGA and other governing student bodies like IFC, Panhel, MGC and RHA to encourage more collaboration among these groups. Outside of Student Government, Rita is a member of Greek Life and enjoys reading and hiking. Let our team EMPOWER you!

Daniel Carter

My election will ensure student oversight with regards to the University’s Magis Operational Excellence Program, a Senate that prioritizes the concerns of SLU students, and leadership that will help guide Saint Louis University into its 200th year of existence… I have already drafted several pieces of legislation on topics ranging from transparency and campus safety to social justice and sustainability that will be enacted if I am elected. I am confident this legislation will benefit SLU students for years to come. Check out each proposal on my Facebook page (Daniel Carter SGA 2017) so you know that I mean business. Talk is cheap. Let’s create a better SLU for you; I’d be honored to have your vote.

Jay Hardin

Serving as a University Ambassador, the Vice President of Beta Theta Pi, and being selected as an Orifamme Team Leader has taught me innumerable lessons on being a true servant leader, a voice to the voiceless. As SGA President, I will continue to be a representative for those students that often feel as if they are not being adequately represented. During serious times, such as the ones we are currently facing, it is critical to have an experienced leader to help make the appropriate decisions. As SGA president, I want to ensure that the SLU student body not only feels connected to the university but united within the entire SLU community. Elect Jay Hardin to lead the way!

Dylan McCloskey

Dylan McCloskey is a rising junior at Saint Louis University. Hailing from Kansas City, Mo., Dylan is studying civil engineering and legal studies. He is currently serving Parks College as a Senator in the Student Government Association. Dylan is very involved on campus in the Mock Trial Team, Student Activities Board, and Concert Band, with leadership roles in Model United Nations and American Society of Civil Engineers. Dylan’s hobbies include running, practicing taekwondo, eating bread bowls, and watching The Office (with Parks and Rec as a close second). Dylan is the proud son of two Army veterans who served their country for a combined 29 years.

VP of International Affairs: Faisal Alateeg

I am running for the Vice President of International Affairs because of my involvement with international students on many levels, and I am excited to share this great experience with my friends in the Student Government Association. I committed to leaving great impressions on international students and make them feel welcome, and I am even more committed to share their experience, my experience, and support them in the Student Government Association.

VP of Academic Affairs: Jordan Glassam

I am running for Vice President of Academic Affairs because I am truly passionate about our academic programs at SLU and the experience that my fellow Billikens are having. Currently, I am a first-year student from Palm Springs, Ca. I am majoring in political science and philosophy while also minoring in Catholic studies. After graduating from SLU I hope to go to law school. I am currently a senator for the College of Arts and Sciences and I serve on the Academic Affairs Committee as well as the Facilities and Services Committee.

VP for Student Organizations: Alex Hernandez

Alex is a sophomore from Dallas, Texas. He is majoring in history and pursuing minors in Spanish and urban poverty studies. On campus, Alex found his first home in the Micah Learning Community and has since expanded his family to Oriflamme, HALO (serving as the Diversity Leadership Chair), and She’s The First. Alex also works on campus as a student brigadier for the Center for Service and Community Engagement. Besides this, he is a member of TRIO student services and very proud to be an MLK scholar. As VP of Student Organizations, Alex wants to create a better relationship with all organizations, including smaller groups across campus.

VP of Academic Affairs: Conor LoPiccolo

Students of SLU, my name is Conor LoPiccolo. I am majoring in English and theology while also minoring in Catholic studies. I’m originally from the St. Louis area. During my time at SLU, I have done my best to get involved in groups that both excite and challenge me. Along with my previous involvement in our Student Government Association as a committee representative and an Arts and Sciences Senator, I am also a member of the Zeta Tau Chapter of Beta Teta Pi, Oriflamme, and the Campion Society. As a committee representative for the Academic Affairs Committee I have developed a passion for our students and academics, and am already excited about the projects ahead for academics which is why I would love to be considered for this position.

VP of Finance: Katlyn Martin

Katlyn Martin is a sophomore from Omaha, Neb. She is studying political science and international studies, with minors in Spanish and urban poverty. She has been a part of SGA since freshmen year, serving as a First-Year Senator, and then an Arts and Sciences Senator, as well as one of the Co-Chairs for the Student Outreach Committee. Along with her senator positions, she has served on the Finance, Student Organizations, Dining, and Academic Committees. She is very excited to be running for the VP of Finance on a platform based on transparency and greater accessibility for all student organizations.

VP of International Affairs: Surabhi Swaminath

Surabhi is a Junior from Bangalore, India. She is majoring in psychology and computer science. She has served as a senator for International Affairs on SGA and is also part of the International Affairs Committee. She is also the chair of Finance on the E-board for the International Students Federation. Surabhi is very excited to be running for VP of International Affairs and be part of a platform based on empowering and helping students.

VP of Internal Affairs: Emily Varner

Emily Varner is a junior from St. Louis, Mo. She is studying marketing and sports business. Serving as the current B-School Senator, she has enjoyed getting to know the extraordinary students and faculty who call the business school home. Emily has also served on the Board of Trustees Marketing Committee, HR committee, SGA’s Academic and Internal Affairs, as well as the chair of the Constitution and Policy Review committee. Emily wishes to use the expertise she has developed to empower students to change SLU for the better.

VP of Diversity and Inclusion: Tremayne Watterson

Tremayne Watterson is a sophomore in the school of Public Health and Social Justice. He is majoring in bio-statistics and public health, with minors in criminal justice and urban poverty studies. He has been a part of SGA since his freshman year. Originally serving as a committee representative, for his sophomore year he wanted a bigger role in SGA and became the DLC senator for Multicultural Affairs. He has served on the finance committee, the mission and ministry committee, and as the representative for multicultural affairs in DLC meetings and grand assemblies.

Senatoral Candidates: College of Arts & Sciences (Four Seats Available) Mikhail Faulconer, Paul Heinemann, Suzy Kickham, Spencer Laiben, Robert Lasky, Sequoyah Lopez, Grant Mayfeld, John Meyer, Nia Sumpter

Doisy College of Health Sciences (Tree SeatsAvailable) Caroline Sauer, Megan Wieber

School of Education (Two Seats Available) Madalyn Dischner

John Cook School of Business (Tree Seats Available) Michael Lampkin, Michael Winters Parks College of Engineering, Aviation, & Technology (Two Seats Available) Andrew Budd

College for Public Health & Social Justice (Tree Seats Available) Chandler Beck, Sarah Cerkvenik, Shanaya Shah, Ariana Song, George Tarp

School of Nursing (Tree Seats Available) Kateri Sheber Howard

Commuter Students (Two Seats Available) Gabby Tucci