Softball brings home three wins over Easter break

SLU Softball saw some action both at home and on the road over the last two weeks.

First, SLU hosted UMass for a three-game series April 8 and 9. SLU dropped both games of the Saturday doubleheader, but won the single game Sunday.

In the first game of the doubleheader, UMass struck early off a pair of Billiken errors and a UMass double. UMass tallied one in the top of the first. SLU held UMass to one run until UMass tallied another run in the top of the fifth. UMass tallied another run in the top of the seventh, this time off a double to the outfield. SLU trailed 3-0 heading into the bottom of the seventh, despite multiple attempts to rally back. Trough a pair of walks, a passed ball, and a fielder’s choice, SLU tallied one in the bottom of the seventh, but that was the extent of the scoring in game one. SLU lost 3-1.

In the second game, UMass tallied two in the top of the first off a pair of sacrifice flies. SLU again held UMass in the top of the second and third before UMass tallied two more off a pair of RBIs in the top of the fourth. SLU stopped UMass from scoring after that point, and added two runs of its own in the bottom of the sixth off a bases-clearing double by junior first baseman Alyssa Tarquinio. This was the extent of SLU’s offense in game two, however, and SLU went on to lose 4-2.

Head Coach Christy Connoyer summed up the SLU rally in the second game with one sentence: “If a team’s gonna give you more than three outs, take advantage of it!”

In the final game on Sunday, April 9, junior pitcher Maddie Baalman pitched seven shutout innings over UMass. SLU’s only run in the 1-0 victory came from a bit of strategy in the bottom of the third. Junior left fielder Josie Knesel hit a double, followed by a sacrifice bunt by senior shortstop Alex Nickel. A single by sophomore second baseman Mackenzie Lawson drove Knesel home.

Despite pitching a complete game shutout, Baalman gave credit to the rest of the team. “[We] made some great plays. Great team win!”

Over Easter break, SLU traveled to Washington, D.C. for a matchup against conference foe George Washington. SLU went 2-1 in the three-game series on April 14 and 15.

In the first game, SLU exploded on offense, winning 11-2. Te scoring began in the top of the first off an RBI single by junior third baseman Allie Macfarlane. George Washington answered back in the second. In the top of the fifth, Nickel drove in a run off a single, followed by a Lawson threerun homer. Macfarlane hit in the fifth and final run of the inning off a triple. SLU tallied three in the sixth. Nickel hit a run home in a suicide squeeze, senior center fielder Mackenzie Peter delivered an RBI single, and Macfarlane drew a basesloaded walk. GW answered with a run in the sixth, but SLU tallied two more in the seventh. Senior right fielder Emma Buckles produced an RBI double, and scored off a double steal with Knesel stealing second.

In the second game, GW got to work early, scoring five in the first three innings. Lawson and Macfarlane each drove in a run off singles. GW plated five in the bottom of the fifth for the 10-2 victory.

In the third game, GW took an early 1-0 lead. Knesel answered with an RBI single in the third. Macfarlane delivered the go-ahead run off a sacrifice fly in the fifth. SLU added two more in the sixth from a Nickel sacrifice fly and a throwing error following a double steal. GW answered with a run in their half of the sixth. Senior catcher Hailey Weavers got the run back in the seventh off an RBI single, clinching the 5-2 victory.

Finally, SLU hosted SIUE for a cross-town clash on Tuesday, April 18. SIUE tallied three runs in the first, before Weavers answered with a three-run homer to left-center in the second. SLU would be unable to score anymore in the game, and SIUE tallied one in the fourth, two in the fifth, and one in the sixth to clinch the 7-3 victory.

Connoyer really was impressed with Weavers delivering on the three-run shot. “SIUE score[d] early to take the momentum and we came right back and grab[bed] it.”

Next up, SLU hosts A-10 foe La Salle for a three-game series. Saturday, April 22 is a doubleheader, and Sunday, April 23 is a single game. First pitch for both days is set for noon.

Afterwards, SLU will play a midweek doubleheader against Southeast Missouri State at Cape Girardeau, Mo. Then, SLU will resume A-10 play against George Mason.