Women even record against Davidson

Saint Louis Athletics

Saint Louis Athletics

Saint Louis Athletics

[email protected]

Saint Louis Athletics

Saint Louis Athletics

After a first half draw, the Billikens came out on top against their only opponent this week, the Davidson Wildcats, 2-0. SLU traveled to North Carolina for their third-to-last Atlantic 10 game of the season, on Oct. 25.

The first goal in the game came at 60:53, from senior defender Mary Wright, her first goal of the season. Wright headed senior Lindsay Elking’s cross into the goal, to give the Billikens the lead. Elking’s assist was her fifth of the year, which ties sophomore Danielle Tolmais for the team high.

Sophomore forward Kirsten Clemens was the other goal scorer in the game for the Bills. Clemens’ goal came in the 81st minute, after she secured a loose ball, following sophomore Shaney Sakamoto’s free kick. The goal, Clemens’ seventh of the season, put her one ahead of sophomore forward Christina Rodriguez for most goals scored on the team this season. Sakamoto’s assist was her first of the season, and also her first collegiate point. SLU had 11 total shots in the contest.

The Billiken defense also proved strong, tallying its third shutout of the season. Junior goalkeeper Hanna Benben had three saves on the game.

With the win over Davidson, the Billikens evened both their overall and Atlantic 10 Conference records at 8-8 and 3-3, respectively. It was also their third win in four games. Davidson, the newest member of the A-10, now has a 4-12-1 overall record and a 1-5 record in the conference.

The Billikens have two games left this season, both at home, at Hermann Stadium, before the A-10 Conference Championship. Saint Louis will take on VCU on Oct. 31, at 7 p.m., and closes their regular season Sunday, Nov. 2, against George Washington.

Both George Washington and VCU are currently ahead of SLU in the A-10 standings, as VCU is second, behind La Salle, George Washington is fifth and SLU is  seventh. VCU has a record of 8-4-4 and is 4-1-1 in the conference, while George Washington sits at 10-4-1 overall and 3-2-1 in the A-10. The Billikens have yet to take on either team this season.

SLU is third in the A-10 in average shots per game and total shots, with a 15.88 average per game and 254 total shots. The team is also third in goals with 31, averaging almost two per contest.

The season concludes with the A-10 Championships from Nov. 6-9 in Dayton, Ohio. The top eight teams in the conference qualify for the tournament, with Dayton getting an automatic bid as the hosts.

If the tournament were played today, the top seed would be La Salle, who SLU lost to just 2-1, with VCU, Dayton, Rhode Island, George Washington, and Massachusettes following. SLU would have the seventh seed and have to play the number two seed overall. The final school in the tournament would be Saint Joseph’s. However, SLU’s remaining opponents are both higer ranked, and two wins could change the order and seeding.

Last year, SLU was eliminated by UMass in a heartbreaking ending in the A-10 tournament on penalty kicks after the game ended in a tie.